Thursday, April 16, 2009

Is that the kind of world you want?

When I was a lad, John Buchan's Richard Hannay books were favorites of mine (despite the prejudice sometimes portrayed and to which I was not yet sensitive), and Hannay was an honorable hero to me. Alfred Hitchcock's movie The 39 Steps was the first version of Buchan's book. I enjoy all the versions, and this one is especially good. In one scene, Hannay finds himself mistaken for someone else who is expected to give a political speech. He ad libs brilliantly, and the following segment seems to sum up perfectly some of my own philosophy. Regrettably, there are many who do not share this vision. (People told me to cheer up, things could be worse; so I cheered up, and, sure enough, things got worse.) Keep up the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment